If y’all just happened to stumble into this here virtual saloon then welcome to 8BitKingdom, a place where we talk about the ways that video games and gaming culture can and do act as a force for change in the world. We here at 8BitKingdom believe that the world is full of broken and lost people who are crying out for assistance. Thus the question is hardly, “Are there people in need in the world?” but rather, “Who will help them?” This is where gamers come in.
What if all of those countless hours of Final Fantasy healing spells and Left 4 Dead med kits could translate into real world change? What if the money and passion that fuels a $36 billion, larger than Hollywood industry was directed toward serving the poor and saving the lost? What if all that training to save the world was actually more than just a game? Gamers have a remarkably strong and growing voice of power in the world and it’s time that we banded together to change it all for the better.
So, super. Sounds great. World peace and all that jazz, but where do we start? Throughout all of human history there have been millions of men and woman who have fought and died for change but none of them have so perfectly personified this mission as Jesus Christ. Thus, the foundation for this gaming revolution is laid on the 8 principles that Jesus admonished the world to follow in order to usher in a true Kingdom of love, beauty and grace.
- God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
- God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.
- God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.
- God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.
- God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God.
- God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
Now be fair warned, this is not some 8 step program or road map to world peace. It’s not some easy fad or spiritual diet that we take up in order to feel like we are good people. These principles are hella difficult. I mean we’re talking Contra and Ninja Gaiden Black rolled into one. However, the gaming community has been blessed with an incredible strength and thereby an equally incredible burden to save and serve the world whenever and wherever possible. In the immortal words of Ben Parker, “With great power comes great responsibility.”
This is where 8BitKingdom comes in. We want to take up the mantle of this responsibility and see how a fusion of the beatitudes and video games can change the world. This is the journey that we will be discussing and chronicling here at 8BitKingdom, but this place is also more than that. Developing games for change, gaming service campaigns and outreach events are all coals which are collectively fueling the fire of this ideology. 8BitKingdom is more than just a gaming hub, it is the beginnings of a revolution: one that seeks to serve the needy and broken through the wonderful art of gaming and we hope that you’ll join us for the adventure!
To contact 8BitKingdom, Jeremy or any of our contributors please send an email to the following addresses:
- Jeremy Ryan – President/Developer – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jesse Hawkins – Developer – email@example.com
- Ben Keith – Developer – firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Inquiries – email@example.com